|ramsgate historyramsgate then and nowhistoric-buildingsbuildings-at-riskplanning-mattersblue plaques||
More of Ramsgate's Historic Buildings.
Built in 1713 on Tudor foundations. A fine example of a flint and brick building of the Queen Anne period with Flemish gables. Archaeological finds in the grounds date from Stone Age, Iron Age, Roman and mediaeval times. Privately owned.
The Clock House, Pier Yard, Royal Harbour.
Built in 1817 to the design of Benjamin Wyatt and George Louch, altered by John Rennie. The Ramsgate Meridian runs through the building: Ramsgate time is 5 minutes 41 seconds ahead of GMT. This is the home of Ramsgate Maritime Museum.
The Crosswall, Ramsgate Royal Harbour.
The Crosswall was built in 1779 on the advice of John Smeaton to build up a head of water which could be released through the sluice gates and remove the build up of silt in the Outer Harbour. The listing also applies to the sluices which may be more easily seen at low water, the bollards, dry dock, basin gates, wing wall and Dundee Steps.
125 High Street.
Early eighteenth century with a fine door hood. Privately owned.
Italianate Greenhouse, George VI Park.
Erected in 1805 in the grounds of East Cliff Lodge, home of Admiral Lord George Keith. Queen Caroline, wife of George IV, visited the Lodge and her fondness for grapes led to the planting of a vine still alive today. The Greenhouse has been recently restored with the help of a grant from English Heritage.
Townley House, Chatham Street.
Designed by Mrs Mary Townley and built in 1780 it was the centre of Ramsgate's social life. The Duchess of Kent and Princess Victoria were frequent visitors. Today the house is part of the furnishing firm of Farleys who purchased and restored the property in the 1960s. As showrooms it is open during normal business hours