|ramsgate historyramsgate then and nowhistoric-buildingsbuildings-at-riskplanning-mattersblue plaques||More of Ramsgate's Historic Buildings.
There are many Grade Two houses in the various crescents, squares and lawns some of which are mentoned below.
Albion House and Albion Place.
Built about 1789, the properties became fashionable residences. Jane Austen's brother, Francis, stayed here. Albion House was the holiday home of the Duchess of Kent and Princess Victoria in September 1835 and it was while she was staying there that she developed typhoid fever.
Built in 1842 in Regency style with bow windows.
Regency Crescent built between 1827 and 1836 named after the Earl of Liverpool, Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports and Prime Minister 1812 to 1827. His crest is over the middle of the west side.
1798 to 1801 Wilkie Collins wrote The Woman in White while staying at 14 Nelson Crescent.
Regency style properties built on land bought from James Townley, husband of Mary Townley (qv).
The only Royal Harbour in England, so designated by George IV after his departure from Ramsgate to Hanover in 1821 and his return. Work began on Ramsgate Harbour in 1749 and was completed in 1791 with the building of the lighthouse at the end of the West Pier. During the Napoleonic Wars the Harbour was used extensively for the embarkation of troops which was the reason for the building of Military Road. Things to notice are the Piers, Crosswall, Powder Magazine (at the root of the West Pier) - built to store 600 pounds of gunpowder from ships at anchor in the Harbour, Clock House. Obelisk, Sailors' Church and former Smack Boys' Home.
The original Regency houses were designed and built by Mary Townley. Those at the northwest corner of Royal Road and Spencer Square were officers' quarters during the Napoleonic War. Vincent van Gogh taught at Mr Stokes's school, 6 Royal Road in 1876.
Numbers 35 to 42 were built around 1802. The remainder were built in the 1830s. Vincent van Gogh lodged at 11 Spencer Square when he was teaching at 6 Royal Road.
All the houses were built round the gardens. The oldest houses are 12 and 14, built around 1818; numbers 1 to 9 and 14 were built between 1822 and 1836; the remainder were built during the 1840s. Lillie Langtry is reputed to have stayed at 13 Vale Square.
1817 to 1824. William Frith stayed there and painted A Day at the Seaside, better known as Ramsgate Sands which now hangs in the Royal Gallery, Buckingham Palace. Wilkie Collins kept his mistress, Martha Rudd, at 27 and it was this house through which the engine of a German Focke-Wulf 190 went after the fighter had been shot down during the Second World War. Samuel Taylor Coleridge stayed at numbers 3, 9, 28 and 29.